My Photo
Name:
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States

Monday, October 23, 2006

The Big Man’s Brew - Volume Four

"And I hold you close in the back of my mind
Feels so good but damn it makes me hurt
And I'm too scared to know how I feel about you now "


The Big Man’s Brew - Volume Four

01} Rogue Wave - Kicking The Heart Out [4:17]
Yet another iTunes freebie. I love how this one bounces around, then a little over halfway through the drums kick in. There's just something special about that moment.

02} Super Furry Animals - [Drawing] Rings Around The World [3:31]
A shiny happy tune, which is a rarity in my collection. This is a head bobber, I triple-dog-dare you not to shake a little when this one comes on.

03} Jon Brion - Peer Pressure [1:12]

04} Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars [4:27]
I know, I know "what the hell's a WB-esque tune doing on here." I like this song, so sue me. I knew of Snow Patrol via an iTunes freebie that became a hit, "Run." Apparently "Chasing Cars" was used in the season finale of Grey's Anatomy. I don't watch that show. Anyways, it's a great tune.

05} The Panics - Cash [4:17]
This one was discovered through El Doctor. He posted a thread on TheMonkey's forums about free, good music. This was his contribution, and a damn fine choice at that.

06} Tom Waits - Soldier's Things [3:22]
I cannot believe the Braniac left this one off his first CD. This is by far my favorite Waits tune.

07} Korn - Dead [1:14]

08} Nine Inch Nails - Leaving Hope [5:57]
This is not your little brother's Nine Inch Nails. "Leaving Hope" is off of the phenomenal album Still. According to rumors this song, among other instrumentals on Still, are rejected film score pieces from One Hour Photo. That's the word on the street, take it or leave it. Nevertheless it's an amazingly powerful piece, rivaling some of the great composers of yesteryear.

09} Tweaker [f. Jonah Matranga] - Swamp [Vocal Version] [5:11]
Here's one by a Nine Inch Nails alumni. Tweaker is the solo work of NIN collaborator and live performer Chris Vrenna. His first album is completely instrumental expect on the import version. This is the only song that has vocals. There is an instrumental only version of "Swamp" found on the domestic CD, but this is far superior. This is one to crank up in the car on the way to work.

10} Explosions In The Sky - A Poor Man's Memory [Live Forever] [6:04]
I haven't the foggiest on where to begin about Explosions In The Sky. Even with their minimal amount of output, they're one of my favorite bands. They are a dominant force in the post-rock movement that some say was started by those damn Canadians, Godspeed! You Black Emperor. I prefer Explosions for their, pardon the pun, bombastic tendencies. They also scored the film Friday Night Lights, which was quite a bit more subdued. In fact, their second album, Those Who..., is far more powerful than any of their subsequent records. Even so, they are a great band worth checking out.

11} Louis Armstrong + Ella Fitzgerald - Summertime [4:59]
What the hell can one say about these two powerhouses? Not much said will make you like this song. You need to just sit back, crank it up, and enjoy.

12} The Sword - Lament For The Aurochs [7:59]
The movements in this song are amazing. I especially dig the beginning of the track where they somewhat mock a symphony's "gearing up." Without the faintest hesitation, they explode right into the piece. The lyrics are a little on the gouda side, but the song just plain ol' kicks ass.

13} The American Plague - Doubt [2:29]
Probably one of the best bands in KnoxVegas right now. Balls to the wall rock n' roll. Plus they're really good guys, and believe that I have "impeccable taste in music!" The CD is great, but is nothing compared to seeing them perform on stage.

14} Killswitch Engage - And Embers Rise [1:11]

15} DJ Danger Mouse [f. Jay-Z + The Beatles] - What More Can I Say [4:25]
This track is illegal. Do you feel it, the rebellion? Danger Mouse [Gorillaz' Demon Days, Gnarls Barkley] burst on the scene by mixing Jay-Z's acappela version of The Black Album with The Beatles' The White Album to create The Grey Album. It's a tight album, but this is the standout. It'll reek havoc on your speakers.

16} DJ Shadow - Untitled Heavy Beat [Part 1+2] [3:02]
Another DJ Shadow tune. I love the all out bravado behind this song.

17} The V-roys - What's She Found [3:25]
Arguably the best band to ever come out of Knoxville. They are a bar band and a half. Songs of heartache and heartbreak abound on their three albums. Unfortunately they broke up, and moved on. Scott Miller is doing the solo thing, while Mic Harrison splits his time between The Faults [with the remaining members of The V-roys], Superdrag, his solo work, and many other endeavors.

18} Petula Clark - The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener [3:01]
For such a sadly named tune it sure is upbeat.

19} Alexi Murdoch - Orange Sky [6:21]
A breezy, folksy tune. Great for long trips.

20} Paolo Conte - Via Con Me [2:46]
No words, just laughter.

Until next time:
"..."Have you got any soul?" a woman asks the next afternoon. That depends, I feel like saying; some days yes, some days no. A few days ago I was right out; now I've got loads, too much, more than I can handle. I wish I could spread it a bit more evenly, I want to tell her, get a better balance, but I can't seem to get it sorted. I can see she wouldn't be interested in my internal stock control problems though, so I simply point to where I keep the soul I have, right by the exit, just next to the blues." - Nick Hornby, High Fidelity

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home