My Photo
Name:
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States

Sunday, September 30, 2007

The passing of a great one.

"When your faith in life is gone
Come and speak to me
When you’re down and all messed up
Seek my sympathy"


The passing of a great one.

I always find it odd at the receiving of friends and funerals of one of my close relatives that all sorts of distant people come out of the woodwork to tell you how wonderful the departed was while living. Because, for the most part, these are people that rarely ever saw the deceased. I can still remember a distant cousin from my grandmother's side talking to me about my grandfather. Which was odd because said cousin lived in Kentucky, and only saw my grandfather twice a year.

Not that I'm complaining. The four people from my immediately family that have passed on are people to be lauded. Especially my grandfather, and now, my grandmother.

A giant slice of my youth was spent at my paternal grandparents house. I would head up there on Friday evenings , and not go home until Sunday evenings. Throughout the summer I would accompany my grandmother on her sojourns across the vast landscape of the south, and ride along when she delivered meals to home-bound invalids. When not away with my grandmother, I would go with my grandfather to work on people's homes, and just any place in general he went to.

My grandfather was a giant man. One that I was always fearful to irritate. It wasn't until I started to become a young man that I truly appreciated and talked to my grandfather more and more. He passed in 1998, and not a day goes by that I don't wish he was still here. There have been moments of decision in life that I feel would have been a more comfortable transition had I been able to talk with my grandfather first. Though my dad and mom have stepped in, especially in the last couple of years.

My grandmother was a great woman. She was the backbone of our family, and the best damn cook I've ever met. It's still odd using "was," the past tense. She left us last Tuesday. By "left" I don't mean she went on traveling bus to Boone, NC. I mean she passed away. She had had a rough last few years, eaten away with Alzheimer's. That disease is the kind of travesty that makes me want to punch God in the face. It used to pain me so much to see her, a shell of the strong-willed woman she once was.

I'll miss her. No doubt about that.

Until next time:
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. " - Sir Winston Churchill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home