My Photo
Name:
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States

Monday, June 04, 2007

Words

"Don't worry up your mind
People are sick and mean sometimes
They're only words"


Words

I cannot spell the word definitely to save my life. If I were in some wild-haired situation where the lives of millions depended on the correct spelling of definitely, well they'd be screwed. Sorry. I do not possess that part of the brain that makes one able to spell that dreaded word.

What are words exactly? The Oxford American Dictionary defines words as "a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed." Sounds 'bout right to me, but that only scratches the surface. Words can also mean so much more. They can topple nations, breathe beauty into atrocities, and change the definition of sex just by the tone of the usage.

So what have learned over the years? What was ingrained in the majority of us growing up? Choose your words carefully. Some folks use their gifts by crafting reams of exquisiteness. Others wield their power to spew hatred against their fellow human. The see-saw seems to be tipping away from love, skewing towards venom more and more every day.

But enough political mess.

I find myself using non-existent words day in and out. A few times I've been called out on this. Friends saying "that isn't even a word!" So what? What's it really matter in the grand scheme of things? It's not like I'm saying quxstelduch, fully expecting people to understand. Usually it's a modified version of preexisting words, making them fit Round peg into a triangle-shaped hole. If worked properly, it'll still fit. Just be obtuse. Think about it though. If you're using some jimmy-rigged term to emphasize what you're saying, shouldn't that be alright? As long as you're not trying to be oh-so cool, inventing new catch phrases. Those seem to reveal themselves organically more so than being forced upon us.

I think the word that sparked all these bouncy balls in my brain was "crappily." Something of that nature. My buddy stopped me dead in my tracks, and said "that isn't even a word!" My response, since he's getting his MBA, was "hey now, that's a word in my hood. May not be in you big, fancy MBA books." That shut him up. I'm taking great pride in knocking his knees out from under him when he attempts to act superior.

I'm trying to push the way words are used. Most times I fail, but sometimes I succeed. Life's all about those small pockets of success. In those, well hell, not to sound to hokey, but the world clicks into place. Stars align. The moon shines bright... 'n all that shit.

Until next time:
"All my life I've looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time." - Ernest Hemingway

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home